South Caldwell completed a clean sweep at Wednesday’s Caldwell County Cross Country Meet at the Lenoir Rotary Soccer Complex.
The Spartans claimed the team championship on the strength of first-place finishes in the boys and girls races. Ethan Littell was the top male finisher, completing the 5,000-meter course in 19:27.14, just 2.6 seconds ahead of teammate Levi Bowman. Hibriten’s Rylan Sedlacek was the Panthers’ top finisher. His time of 20:11.72 earned him third place. Greylan Thomas finished fourth, giving Hibriten its second top-five finisher, while South Caldwell’s Parker Bowman placed fifth with a time of 20:32.83. Jacob Spencer was West Caldwell’s highest finisher; his time of 21:33.49 landed him in sixth place.
South Caldwell also placed three runners in the top five of the girls race. The Spartans were led by Madison Austin’s first-place run of 23:35.01. Hibriten’s Kathy Clark placed second with a time of 25:13.55, followed by South Caldwell’s Liza Salisbury and Alexes Greene in third and fourth. Their times were 25:27.15 and 25:49.26, respectively. Hibriten’s Scout Spencer rounded out the top 5 with a time of 25:54.93. West Caldwell’s Elizabeth Sherwood came in sixth with a time of 26:02.81.
Caldwell County Meet
Lenoir Rotary Soccer Complex, 5,000 meters
1. Ethan Littell, South Caldwell 19:27.14
2. Levi Bowman, South Caldwell 19:29.74
3. Rylan Sedlacek, Hibriten 20:11.72
4. Greylan Thomas, Hibriten 20:22.37
5. Parker Bowman, South Caldwell 20:32.83
6. Jacob Spencer, West Caldwell 21:33.49
7. Evan Van Horne, Hibriten 23:26.03
8. Josh Hedrick, South Caldwell 24:17.31
9. Luke Roberts, West Caldwell 24:24.89
10. Victor Rosa, West Caldwell 25:07.67
11. Chandler Dixon, South Caldwell 26:27.01
12. Kyle Watson, Hibriten 26:59.60
13. Carson McMasters, West Caldwell 29:16.41
14. Cid Wyer, Hibriten 31:11.66
15. Owen Moore, Hibriten 31:57.97
16. Ayden Bollinger, West Caldwell 34:27.24
17. Preston Thomas, South Caldwell 37:55.01
1. Madison Austin, South Caldwell 23:35.01
2. Kathy Clark, Hibriten 25:13.55
3. Liza Salisbury, South Caldwell 25:27.15
4. Alexes Greene, South Caldwell 25:49.26
5. Scout Spencer, Hibriten 25:54.93
6. Elizabeth Sherwood, West Caldwell 26:02.81
7. Marie-Claire Waechter, Hibriten 26:20.62
8. Sydni Woodward, South Caldwell 26:21.13
9. Mayra Leon Capula, Hibriten 28.26.24
10. Emily Hussong, Hibriten 29:30.88
11. Jenna Suddreth, South Caldwell 31:37.78
12. Chloe Greene, South Caldwell 32:08.85
13. Amelia AuBain, South Caldwell 32:36.71
14. Katie Whisnant, Hibriten 32:58.49
15. Lariyah Clark, West Caldwell 33:03.18
16. Maddy Eaches, West Caldwell 33:37.05
17. Alexis Culpepper, South Caldwell 38:11.43
Panthers 3, Huskies 2
A day after rallying for a 2-0 deficit against county rival South Caldwell, Hibriten again had to come from behind at Ashe County. The Panthers dug themselves out of a 2-1 hole to claim a 14-25, 25-13, 14-26, 25-22, 15-7 five-set Northwestern 3A win.
Hibriten improves to 12-6 overall and 2-2 in the conference, and the loss leaves Ashe at 2-4 overall and 1-2 in the Northwestern 3A/4A.
The Panthers are scheduled to host Freedom on Monday, and the Huskies will come calling on Wednesday.
In Catawba Valley Athletic Conference action on Thursday, Maiden swept West Caldwell 25-5, 25-5, 25-8 to improve to 10-7 overall and 9-0 in the CVAC. The Warriors fell to 0-13 overall and 0-8 in the conference.
West Caldwell is scheduled to visit Thomas Jefferson on Monday before heading to Lincolnton on Tuesday. The Warriors are also scheduled to play Thursday at West Lincoln.